These Mediterranean quinoa bowls are our absolute favorite meal currently. We eat them for dinner probably once every week, and make them up for lunch often too. When we took a quick trip to the lake with the dogs a few weeks ago I brought everything we needed to make these for lunch, and it was so light and refreshing to eat outside on the dock. It was also Kato pups first lake trip! He’s a very cautious boy, and is still turning out to be the biggest (literally) lap dog I have ever known. He’ll jump off the dock onto the swim mat when Jamo is chasing after his frisbee, but not into the water itself yet. He’s just a big baby, and obviously such a sweetie. Hopefully though he becomes a little more daring when it comes to water so he can have as much fun as Jamo does!
Sunglasses are Dior
Anyhow typically we tend to be surrounded by junk food while we’re at the lake, especially when other people are there with us. So the past couple years I’ve really been making an effort to be healthier while we’re down there. It’s so easy to get off track when your on vacation, even if it’s just short little weekend trips, so I try to plan in advance and set us up to make mostly healthy choices. Especially when you go somewhere where you’re going to be in a bikini the whole time…alcohol intake paired with salty junk food and sweets is not ideal if you want to feel good in your own skin!
The best part about these bowls is that they’re easily customizable. Set out all the prepared ingredients individually so people can build their own bowls according to what they like, and any picky eaters will be happy to be able to pick and choose what they want to add. I always find eating to be more enjoyable when it’s both interactive and social!
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 16oz Jar roasted red peppers
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- Quinoa Bowls
- 1 Cup dry quinoa
- Red onion, diced or thinly sliced
- Cucumber, sliced and quartered
- Kalamata Olives, chopped up
- Pepperoncini slices
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh basil and parsley
- Add all of the ingredients for the red pepper sauce to a food processor or blender and blend/pulse until the ingredients combine to form a sauce.
- Cook the quinoa according to directions.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the quinoa into separate bowls, and top with the rest of the ingredients according to preference. Pour a generous helping of the roasted red pepper sauce on top and serve!